06 September 2009

Texas Football


Let's see, it has been--how many years since I last saw a University of Texas football game? A lot of years! So I jumped at the chance to attend the home opener on Saturday. Things have changed, and that is an understatement. Texas football was always over the top (can you picture a stadium with everyone wearing burnt orange?) but now it is way over the top. When I last attended a Texas football game, the coach was Darrell Royal. Now Memorial Stadium is named after Darrel Royal. The stadium was big before (and always filled). Now it is gargantuan, and I believe I heard that the attendance at the game on Saturday was the largest crowd ever to attend a football game in the Southwest (101,000). The pageantry starts before the game and just keeps on coming. And Colt McCoy, the Heisman candidate, already looks to be in mid-season form. What an experience--to return to the campus where I did research in the rare books library and see a spectacle like this. Oh yes--a victory: 59-20.

1 comment:

RSC in AG said...

They say everything is bigger in Texas...101,000 people...that is really out there.