23 March 2010

Spring

It's been a long winter--even in Central Texas.  We have had more rain than usual--thank goodness!  And, quite honestly, more cold than usual.  As March started, however, the temperatures gradually warmed, and spring seemed to be a reality.  The garden centers have been stocking their aisles with so many tempting plants, and even though I have lots of seeds started, I broke down and bought a tomato plant when I spotted the heirloom "Brandywine"  at a local nursery.  And as an appropriate companion, basil.  Mind you, there are tomato and basil seedlings growing in flats on the warm driveway pavement (and brought into the garage at night) but I thought I would take a chance with Brandywine and basil, and planted them on the last day of winter.

Spring began officially on Saturday, 20 March, and--we had frost!  I checked the thermometer when I got up in the morning, and it read 31 degrees--so I rushed back to the garden to check on those two plants that relish hot weather.  Here are the results:


Obviously, it was a little cooler in the garden than up close to the house, or it was below freezing for a period of time.  So much for trying to rush spring during this atypical winter!

I decided I ought to record the event as a reminder that, even if the garden centers stock summer flowers and vegetables, there is no guarantee that they will survive until spring truly arrives.

On the way back to the house, camera in hand, I came across this delicate buttercup growing fearlessly surrounded by the menacing thorns of a prickly pear cactus.  Surprised by nature once again!  Enjoy.


1 comment:

RSC in AG said...

What a sad reminder that you can't rush nature.