19 January 2009

Pre Inauguration

The American media reported that there had been a rehearsal for the inauguration, but it was not until I happened onto an internet link to the BBC that I was able to see the television story about the trial run. I got weepy watching the rehearsal, so I knew I was going to be in trouble on inauguration day itself--tomorrow.

We listened to the pre-inauguration concert live (thank you, NPR) and then watched it last night on television (thanks, HBO). Both times were emotional, especially hearing and then seeing Marian Anderson singing from the same spot in 1939 when she was barred from Constitution Hall.

I missed the opening of the concert both times, so I logged onto the internet to hear the invocation by the Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson, Bishop of New Hampshire. Imagine my surprise to learn that the invocation was not carried by HBO! If you missed the prayer and the ensuing flap, you can read about it here:
http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/01/why-was-rev-gen.html
The Kansas City blogger says that NPR has some explaining to do. And HBO, and the Inaugural Committee!

For two years I have sported one bumper sticker on my car: 1.20.09--Bush's Last Day. I guess tomorrow, finally, I will be able to remove that bumper sticker. One (very unfortunate) era ends and another (hopefully, much better) begins. Let's hope the concert glitch is not an omen.

1 comment:

RSC in AG said...

Amen! It was indeed very moving!