26 August 2009

Hello! And who are you?



This is a real-time post. It is Wednesday, 26 August 2009. Currently it is 102 degrees Fahrenheit at 4:00 pm. This is the kind of heat that makes it rather difficult to breathe as the sizzling air comes into you lungs.

For some time now we have been able to water our lawns only once each week, and that for only a short amount of time. One watering a week is not enough to keep the grass green, so the brown spots on the lawn increase daily.

I just returned from taking Sammie the dog outside (at his request--I had no interest in going outdoors in this heat. ) And what do I see bravely standing erect in the grass? This tiny white flower. I placed the Marks-a-lot in the picture so you would have some idea of the size of the plant and its blossom. What is it? Where did it come from? Why are there not more of them? How could it have the courage to bloom now on this miserable day? But since it did, the day is no longer so miserable!

Last night while watching television I was going through the catalogs of spring bulbs, wondering what I could order that would bloom in this zone (zone 8) and not be consumed by deer. This little flower looks like so many of the spring bulbs I was looking at! One thing I know for sure: it is not a spring bulb, blooming out of season. Not in this heat!