14 June 2009

Does it Really Matter?

Several years ago when we lived in Minnesota, we noticed that something strange happened when the weather got really cold (and it does get really cold in Minnesota). Some people left their cars running in the parking lot when they went into a store to shop, presumably because 1) they feared it would not start again in the bitter cold, or 2) they wanted to return to a warm automobile. The television newscasters warned against this practice, reminding people that car thieves were known to hang out in parking lots looking for idling cars. Easy to steal!

Today I noticed the same phenomenon when I was out shopping after church. In Central Texas, however, the excuse is surely to avoid returning to a car blistering hot in the summer sun. These cars were running (presumably with air conditioners going full blast) to guarantee a cool car after a shopping expedition.

Have these people not heard of global warming? Of the depletion of the ozone layer? Does it matter what I--one single person--do for my comfort? Yes, it does.

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

Rant on!

chinnb said...

I thought I was rather mild....

RSC in AG said...

LOL! I read it with loud rising voice.