22 June 2009

If it's Not One Thing, it's Another



The other morning I awakened and looked out my bedroom window to look eye-to-eye with this deer, hungrily eyeing the plants on my berm. I really wish I'd had a pellet gun instead of a camera!

Then today I turned the hose on low to soak the herb garden near the house. All of a sudden, the healthy parsley plant was almost gone! We have been having intense heat, but this garden had been getting periodic waterings, so I didn't see how the parsley could have dried up so quickly. And then I spotted the little critter in the second picture! I like monarch butterflies, but I thought they only feasted on milkweed. And, as I looked closer, I saw (no surprise) this little critter had several siblings happily munching away. I guess I'll be buying my parsley at the market for the rest of the summer. If it's not one thing, it's another!

2 comments:

RSC in AG said...

I hear ya! My parsley and basil were gobbled up by snails right after the sprouted and I resigned myself to buy my parsley and basil at the market.

chinnb said...

At least caterpillars turn into butterflies!