01 June 2009

A Walking Stick


I think the last time I saw a “walking stick” (insect) was at some point in my boyhood. Imagine my surprise at spotting this one climbing up the walls of the casita the other night! This gentle herbivore (order: Phasmida) was kind enough to wait until I grabbed my camera to record its appearance. Naturally, seeing a walking stick for the first time in years drove me to the internet for some research.

The name comes from the Greek for “apparition,” presumably because when you spot this insect on a tree branch you are not sure if you are seeing a twig or an insect. What is fascinating to me is that so much is not known about the order Phasmida. For example, the insects often sway back and forth, and scientists are not certain why. One explanation is that this swaying is a protective device since the swaying mimics a branch blowing in the wind. The shape and color of the insect provide it with one of the most efficient natural camouflages of any insect.

There are over 3000 species of Phasmids, and their range is largely the tropics, which explains why I never spotted one in Connecticut or Minnesota. My little specimen was “only” about 6 inches long, but in Borneo a type of Phasmid grows to 13 inches (with a length of 21 inches with the legs outstretched), making walking sticks one of the longest insects on earth.

These insects are gentle and often end up in a child’s terrarium, where it can be observed at close range. I always assumed that the walking stick and the praying mantis were related, but that is not the case at all. Mantids are carnivorous, not herbivorous, so about all they have in common is their elongated shape.

No comments: