27 July 2009

Flood?

Tonight my neighbor told me that his wife (who works for the town of New Braunfels) is working with a group at City Hall to prepare for a flood! You have to know that we are in the grip of a terrible drought, and the thought of a flood is almost laughable. History shows, however, that there is a pattern of floods after droughts in this area. The reason has something to do with El Niño. Since I have never understood how El Niño works, I will have to take it on faith that this is true. I guess I should be pleased that city officials are planning ahead, but at a time that we are desperate for rain, it does seem something of a stretch to think of a flood! Having seen the destruction caused by the last great flood in this area (the Canyon Lake gorge that I wrote about several months ago), I know indeed that floods do happen--even in Central Texas--and that they can be very destructive.

I am still working on my bookcases, so I will hold off ark building at the present time.

1 comment:

RSC in AG said...

I empathize! We are in a drought here too and they are talking about el nino here too but I'm not holding my breath. The arroyo here is pretty dry and they say the water overflows the banks in very wet years and that over 20 feet down!!