13 July 2009

July Trips



Whew--it is good to be back home (even if home is an oven right now). We have had two great family trips over the past couple of weeks.

First it was a family reunion of family on my mother's side--37 people from all across the US celebrating the hardy Swedish pioneers who left for a better life in the new world in the 19th century. I had heard stories of our pioneer ancestors from my mother all my life, but I learned even more of these brave souls who left everything in Sweden to take their chances in a new land. I had never known that my great grandmother and grandfather made the voyage with 4 sons and that a new child was born only six weeks after they arrived. I knew that they did not speak English, but I never knew that they were headed to Iowa and somehow ended up in western Kansas. Their story was very moving, and re-connecting with family was really fun.

Over the past weekend we were at the Grand Lake of the Cherokees with our son and his family at the lake house of his inlaws. I think we spent more time in or on the lake than on dry land! I learned how to drive a jet ski! And I learned that they do tip over!

1 comment:

RSC in AG said...

Half Swedish and half??? Sounds like quite the last 2 weeks.