08 July 2009

Good Summer Read

I just finished reading John Grisham's The Testament--not a new book, but new to me. What a fun book for summer. The plot reminded me at times of C.S. Forster's The African Queen, which I read in high school. And then there was the Bogart-Hepburn film version to remember as well. At other times the book recalls Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and, of course, the film version, "Apocalypse Now." This river voyage was neither in Africa nor Viet Nam but the swampy area between Brazil and Bolivia, the streams and tributaries that flow into the Paraguay River.

Lawyers are featured prominently--as always in a Grisham novel--but also missionaries. The story is in many ways more about redemption and salvation than it is about the legal business. Thanks to a leisurely afternoon at the pool today, I was able to finish before starting on a road trip tomorrow.

No comments: